Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Captivity 
- Hairspray 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry 
- Transformers 
Add Your Comments
- Watch a Documentary About Making "The Revenant" [2/4]
- "The Revenant: The IMAX Experience" in Select Theaters Starting January 14, 2016 [1/14]
- Christopher Nolan to Use 65mm and IMAX Film to Make "Dunkirk" [1/11]
- Milwaukee, WI: Landmark Downer Theatre Celebrating 100th Anniversary [12/1]
- Caledonia Man Has a Home Theater with Wurlitzer Organ [12/1]
- Remembering a Fun Event on "Back to the Future Day" [10/21]
- "The Lion King" Sequel "The Lion Guard: Return Of The Roar" to Appear on Disney Channel November 22, 2015 [10/9]
- Milwaukee, WI: A Look Inside the Lyric Theater (Closed in 1952) [10/7]
- Watch the New Trailer for "Jaws 19" [10/6]
- How the President Watches Movies - The White House Family Theater [10/1]
Last weekend's box office race wasn't even close. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" surprised no one by taking the top spot with $77 million over the weekend, pushing its total since its Wednesday opening to almost $140 million.
"Transformers" put in a respectable second-place finish in its third week of release, while the "torture-porn" flick "Captivity" fared poorly with a 12th place finish of less than $1.5 million. Its performance may mark the beginning of the end for such movies, but we shall see this fall when Saw IV is released in theaters. Maybe "Captivity" was just a really bad movie, as was the viewpoint of our Featured Movie Critic.
Thankfully, we have a fresh crop of new releases to entertain us this weekend. John Travolta, Queen Latifah, and Michelle Pfeiffer headline "Hairspray" which is a remake of a movie which was an adaptation of a musical (or something like that). The initial reviews are positive and it looks fun.
The other big release this weekend is "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" with Adam Sandler and Kevin James. It sounds like you see the best parts of the movie in the trailer, and only Adam Sandler fans will be happy with the rest.
We have lots of showtimes for upcoming movies already, so be sure to check those out as well. The "New Movies" page always shows new and upcoming releases for which we have showtimes, so it's a quick way to see what's playing and what's coming out shortly!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.