Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Captivity 
- Hairspray 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- My Best Friend 
- No Reservations 
- Ratatouille 
- Talk to Me 
- Transformers 
Add Your Comments
- Bonita Springs, FL: Prado Stadium 12 Featured in Spotlight Magazines [3/4]
- Note Added to "Noah" Explaining That It's Not a Documentary [2/28]
- Buy One Oscar Nominee Ticket at AMC, Get One Free (conditions apply) [2/10]
- Barnes & Noble Stores Hosting Events Tied to "The LEGO Movie" [1/21]
- Entertainment Weekly Interviews Ben Affleck About "Gone Girl" [11/24]
- See a 5-Minute Clip for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Before "Thor: The Dark World 3D" [10/23]
- High-Def Digest Reviews "The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience" at the Newly Remodeled TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood [9/24]
- 20th Century Fox to Distribute Jesus Christ Movie 'Son of God' [9/12]
- Newton, IA: Valle Drive-In Wants Your Vote for a Free Digital Projector [8/23]
- Hollywood, CA: See "The Little Mermaid 3D" at El Capitan Starting Sept. 20th [8/22]
Even though it opened on Wednesday, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is the movie of the weekend. It's in the most screens, backed by the largest marketing push, and it has the most fans (and most of them are seeing it for the second, third, and fourth times). News agencies reported that the movie pulled in $12 million on the Tuesday Midnight shows alone, so this weekend is going to be all about the kids from Hogwarts.
You have to believe that the other studios knew to avoid this weekend with a movie that came anywhere close to approaching the Harry Potter demographic. Much better to wait until next weekend when the most fervent fans will be home reading the last installment, which is released on July 21st.
That said, this weekend isn't completely devoid of new releases. "Captivity" will be familiar to everyone in the Los Angeles area who saw the billboards before they were pulled for objectionable content. The rest are very limited releases, such as "Talk to Me" and "My Best Friend."
Showtimes and tickets are already available for "Hairspray" at some theaters so be sure to check them out if you want to be first in line to see John Travolta in his most feminine role yet...
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.