Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Avalon Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Milwaukee, WI: "The Princess Bride" Event Coming to the Riverside Theater [7/24]
- North Haven, CT: Cinemark North Haven and XD Now Open [7/24]
- Athens, GA: Carmike Ovation 12 Opens After Renovations [7/20]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Reopened by Landmark Theatres [7/15]
- Cary, NC: Frank Theatres - Parkside Town Commons Stadium 11 & Xtreme Now Open [7/14]
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
The historic Avalon Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin won't reopen in July, as originally planned, but according to an article in the Milwaukee Business Journal, they are hoping to open before the end of the year:
The Avalon Atmospheric Theater & Lounge won’t reopen this summer, but the ownership group is confident it will be ready by the end of 2014.
“It will still absolutely, positively be this year,” said John Brannan, director of operations at Neighborhood Theater Group.
Owner Lee Barczak has been working on reopening the historic theater in Milwaukee’s Bay View neighborhood for years, and renovations started in late 2013. He previously had hoped to reopen the theater in June. Barczak also owns the Rosebud Cinema in Wauwatosa and The Times Cinema on the west side of Milwaukee as part of Neighborhood Theater Group.
The renovations, estimated at $1.8 million, are simply taking longer than expected, and the group doesn’t want to rush things, Brannan said.
“When the realization hit that we were probably going to miss the summer, we took an approach that it’s really important that we do this project correctly and the theater really wows people when it opens,” he said.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
I drove past the theater two weeks ago, hoping to get an updated photo for our records. I was especially hoping to see some progress towards the installation of a new blade sign, which was announced in March, but the exterior didn't look much different than when the above photo was taken in April.
The theater has had a rocky history of attempts to reopen it after it was closed in 2000. You can read some of those stories on the Journal Entries page for the theater.
We agree that it's more important to do it right than do it fast, so good luck to everyone involved and we look forward to seeing your theater light up Kinnickinnic Avenue and the faces of moviegoers!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.