Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- "The Fifth Element" Returns to Theaters for 20th Anniversary Event with Sneak Peek of "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" [4/10]
- USA Today Shows Photos of Michael Keaton as the Villain Vulture in "Spider-Man: Homecoming" [3/27]
- How ILM Created a New King Kong [3/24]
- Free Ice Cream Cones at Select Showcase Cinemas April 4, 2017 [3/23]
- Stay for the Credits of "Kong: Skull Island" [3/10]
- Watch Family-Friendly Movies at Marcus Theatres for Just $3 During "Kids Dream" Series [2/23]
- See the First Cast Photo for "Han Solo: A Star Wars Story" [2/22]
- "First Look" Fan Event on February 28, 2017 for "Ghost in the Shell" at Select IMAX Theaters [2/16]
- Marcus Adds More Wehrenberg Locations to its Best Picture Festival [2/14]
- Watch All the Best Picture Nominees at AMC's Best Picture Showcase [1/26]
George Lucas announced yesterday that the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art (LMNA) will be located in Chicago, Illinois. According to the press release that was issued describes the museum as "a gathering place to experience narrative art and the evolution of the visual image – from illustration to cinema to digital arts."
An article in the Chicago Tribune says that the museum will be host to a collection that includes movie memorabilia such as Darth Vader's costume from the Star Wars movies, examples of special effects from Industrial Light & Magic (which he founded), and paintings from Norman Rockwell.
Los Angeles and San Francisco were reportedly in the running for the museum as well, but Chicago was chosen for the 17-acre site downtown on space that is now parking lots between Soldier Field and McCormick Place. The site is also near the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, and the Adler Planetarium.
“George Lucas has revolutionized the art of storytelling over the last four decades and we are honored to be the recipient of this incredible legacy investment that will allow everyone to learn about and experience narrative arts,” said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. “Like Marshall Field, John G. Shedd and Max Adler before him, George’s philanthropy will inspire and educate for generations. No other museum like this exists in the world, making it a tremendous educational, cultural and job creation asset for all Chicagoans, as well as an unparalleled draw for international tourists.”
Architectural renderings will be presented to the City of Chicago in early Fall. The museum is planning to open in 2018. A web site for the LMNA has been created, which will presumably contain more information as the details become available.
One can only hope that Lucas will choose to include a screening room in the museum similar to the Stag Theater at the Skywalker Ranch in California. The "Stag" is a 300-seat, Art Deco theater that has a legendary sound system and is the screening room for the facility. After all, what better way to showcase the cinema portion of the narrative art collections than with a theater that matches the achievements of the items in the collection?
Related News Articles
- Chicago wins George Lucas museum -- Chicago Tribune [Jun 25, 2014]
- Chicago lands George Lucas Museum -- Chicago Sun-Times [Jun 25, 2014]
- Chicago Gets George Lucas Museum -- The Hollywood Reporter [Jun 24, 2014]
- George Lucas Selects Chicago as Home for Narrative Art Museum -- Variety [Jun 24, 2014]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.