Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Sacramento, CA: Century Arden 14 and XD Opens on Site of Former Century Stadium 14 [12/1]
- West Dundee, IL: Cinemark Spring Hill Mall and XD to Open December 15, 2016 [11/30]
- Chandler, AZ: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Chandler Opens December 2, 2016 [11/30]
- Oak Creek, WI: Marcus Value Cinema - Oak Creek Being Sold to Church [11/30]
- Warren, MI: Cinemark Warren 16 Closed and Will Become an MJR Theatres Location in 2017 [11/28]
- Daytona Beach, FL: Cobb Daytona Luxury 12 Coming in December [11/28]
- Streator, IL: Streator Eagle 6 to Open December 2, 2016 [11/28]
- Marcus Theatres to Acquire All Wehrenberg Theatres Locations [11/21]
- Grand Junction, CO: Movie Theater Opens in Former Carmike 7 Location [11/18]
- Flagstaff, AZ: Harkins Flagstaff 16 Opens, Harkins Flagstaff 11 Closes [11/18]
The Marcus Renaissance Cinema in Sturtevant, Wisconsin and the Marcus North Shore Cinemas in Mequon have had their UltraScreen auditoriums upgraded with luxurious DreamLounger™ seating and Dolby Atmos sound systems.
Making its debut on May 1, 2014, the newly renamed UltraScreen DLX™ auditorium at each location offers guests a wide leather seat that reclines at the touch of a button. Over seven feet of legroom between rows ensures that you'll never feel cramped, with your knees hitting the row in front of you.
Judging from the photos, like the one shown here (see a close-up view of the seats here), this is like going from coach to first class on a two-hour flight. While attendants won't be delivering champagne and a nice pillow as soon as you're seated, this should be a noticeable upgrade that most everyone will appreciate. We plan on trying out these seats very soon, and will report back with our opinion.
In addition to the comfy seats, the other major upgrade is the Dolby Atmos sound system. Rather than a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 channel sound system that we have all become accustomed to expect when going to the movies (if you're old enough, you'll remember when movie sound was mono, stereo, or at best, surround), Dolby Atmos drops the channel-based paradigm and treats the theater like the inside of a sphere. Sounds in the movie are mapped to where they should be placed above and around you, and an array of speakers in the theater take care of reproducing that sound where it's supposed to be.
The Atmos sound system comes just in time for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 3D, which has been created with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Action movies are typically great for having things flying all over the place, but the Atmos system is equally good at subtle sounds, such as the "Riddles in the Dark" sequence in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
We aren't getting Atmos designations in their showtimes yet, but we are working with them to make sure that our readers always know as much information as possible about the presentations at each theater.
When you combine the UltraScreen's 70-foot-wide screen, the Dolby Atmos sound system, and comfortable (and reserved) seating, it makes for a combination that is sure to be a step up from the usual night at the movies. Given that this experience is only an extra $1 over the price of a regular ticket, the only criticism that comes to mind is that every room in the theater isn't an UltraScreen DLX auditorium.
Reserved Seating in All Auditoriums at Renaissance Cinema
Also new to the Renaissance Cinema is the change to reserved seating in all auditoriums. Now, you won't have to race to the theater to get your favorite seat, as you can purchase your tickets ahead of time and select your seats immediately. North Shore went to all-reserved-seating back in 2011.
These changes are all part of a $50 million investment that Marcus Theatres is making in its 55 locations by the end of May 2014. The Marcus Point Cinema in Madison was the first to get the UltraScreen DLX (DreamLounger eXperience) conversion.
Source: Marcus Theatres. Photo above is © Colin Conces, and used with permission from Marcus Theatres. Dolby and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. Dolby Atmos is a trademark of Dolby Laboratories. Marcus Theatres is a registered trademark and UltraScreen DLX is a trademark of the Marcus Corporation.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.