Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Miami, FL: CMX - Brickell City Centre Now Open [4/26]
- Riverhead, NY: Movie Theater Proposed for Riverhead Plaza [4/26]
- Scranton, PA: Iron Horse Movie Bistro Opening April 28, 2017 [4/25]
- Andalusia, AL: Clark Theatres - Andalusia Cinema Now Open [4/14]
- New York, NY: Quad Cinema Reopens After Renovation Project [4/14]
- Laramie, WY: Studio City UW + ARQ Opening on April 28, 2017 [4/13]
- Mobile, AL: Crescent Theater to Close [4/11]
- Dallas, OR: Motor Vu Drive-In Not Reopening for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Stanton, KY: Mountain View Drive-In Will Not Reopen for 2017 Season [4/11]
- Arlington, TX: Cinemark at Former Six Flags Mall Closes [4/10]
The GTC Ashley 8 Cinemas in Valdosta, Georgia closed after business on Sunday, March 3, 2014.
While the theater's official web site had a simple "we're closed and thanks" message, a reply to someone's question on their Facebook page provided some additional information:
Are you guys really closing?
Yes, the film distributors are no longer going to make 35mm film prints for new releases and it was cost-prohibitive to install the new digital projectors that replace 35mm projection equipment without raising the admission price too high. Thank you for your past patronage. Our last day of operations for Ashley Value is this Sunday and hope you will continue to come to our Valdosta Stadium location in the future. Sincerely, Georgia Theatre Company
See the link below for an article we found in the Valdosta Daily Times confirms that news. The theater was purchased in 2012 by Valdosta State University to use for their expansion plans, and they have been leasing the theater back to GTC since then. While the official statement may be that the industry's shift to Digital Cinema Projection systems was the main reason for the theater closing, one can't help but think that after two years, the University might be ready to make use of its purchase.
Related News Articles
- Final reel for ‘Dollar Theatre’ -- Valdosta Daily Times [Feb 28, 2014]
Photo courtesy Ashley Cinemas
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.