Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Parma Motor-Vu
Add Your Comments
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
- See "Interstellar: The IMAX Experience" with 12 Minutes of Additional Footage at Select AMC Locations on February 21, 2015 [2/19]
- Neill Blomkamp Posts About Upcoming "Alien" Project [2/19]
- Buy One Ticket for "Black or White" Get One Free with This Offer - 2/13/15 - 2/19/15 [2/13]
- Spider-Man to Appear in Marvel Cinematic Universe, Next Spider-Man Movie Gets Release Date [2/10]
- South Miami, FL: See an Advanced Screening of "Focus" at AMC Sunset Place 24 on Feb 4, 2015 [2/3]
- National Amusements Celebrates National Popcorn Day with Free Popcorn [1/16]
- Get Your First Look at the Trailer for "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" on Friday, Nov 28th [11/25]
- Remembering "The Terminator" on its 30th Anniversary with an Interview with Van Ling and Ian Nathan [10/28]
The Parma Motor-Vu in Parma, Idaho is celebrating their 60th anniversary this year, and the Idaho Press-Tribune published an Associated Press story about the theater recently:
In the early 1950s, new television sets had valley residents staying home more and going to the movies less, which didn't bode well for local theater owners.
Bill Dobbs of Parma decided to open a drive-in theater in the town to get people out of their homes and going to the movies again, his daughter Karen Cornwell said.
Dobbs, who also owned an indoor theater in downtown Parma, sold his home so he could make a down payment on a loan for the theater, Cornwell said. But the Parma Motor-Vu didn't open to huge crowds its first year.
"It really wasn't that great, because there was a drive-in in almost every little town in the valley," Cornwell said. "... It was a situation where you were expected to draw just within your own community, and it wasn't enough. They struggled."
Despite the lackluster start, Dobbs' Parma Motor-Vu gained momentum and has held on through the years. It will celebrate 60 years July 20, and it's one of just 10 drive-in theaters left in the entire state, according to the United Drive-In Theatre Owners Association, down from a high of 40.
"I'm really proud of it and proud that we maintain it," Cornwell said. "It's kind of mind boggling to think that we've survived for 60 years."
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
If you want to visit the Parma Motor-Vu, check out their Showtimes page to see what's playing and when!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.