Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Shankweiler's Drive-in
Add Your Comments
- "Toy Story that Time Forgot" Coming to ABC in December 2014 [7/25]
- Bad Robot Tweets IMAX Camera on Star Wars Set [7/11]
- Road and Track Spies Electric Harley Davidson on Set of "Avengers: Age of Ultron" [7/2]
- Chicago, IL: Lucas Museum of Narrative Art (LMNA) Announces Chicago Location [6/25]
- Moviescoop Changes Name to Golden Star Theaters [6/20]
- Stay for the End Credits of "22 Jump Street" [6/13]
- "Ghostbusters" 30th Anniversary Celebrated with Re-Release on Labor Day Weekend Followed by Blu-ray Release [6/6]
- USA Today Offers a Sneak Peek at "The Book of Life" [5/30]
- New Batmobile Teased by Director Zack Snyder in Twitter Post [5/12]
- One Man's Problem with Superhero Movies Hits the Nail on the Head [5/9]
Shankweiler's Drive-in in Orefield, Pennsylvania is featured in a recent article on MSN Autos as the country's oldest drive-in movie theater:
Shankweiler's isn't the only drive-in theater still operating in the United States, but its history encompasses the industry it helped pioneer. It was there in the beginning, opening in 1934, just a year after the first drive-in, the appropriately named Drive-In Theatre in Camden, N.J.
In this brave new world of sprawling lots and multiplying movie screens, Shankweiler's remained a modest affair. It has always served roughly as many cars as it does today: 320 or so with a full house. And where other drive-ins featured three or more screens, Shankweiler's offers one. There are concessions at this Pennsylvania icon, but none of the pony rides, sit-down dinners and miniature golf featured at larger, newer operations.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Shankweiler's is one of only three drive-in theaters in the area, but there are quite a few spread across Pennsylvania and the country! We provide you with a way to see a list of drive-ins near you on both the Nearby Theaters page and all of them state-by-state on the Theaters By Region page!
Have You Been to Shankweiler's Drive-in?
If you've been to this drive-in, please let us know what you thought of the experience by leaving a message on the theater's Reader Comments page!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.