Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Brookfield
- Marcus North Shore Cinemas
- AMC Mayfair Mall 18
Add Your Comments
- Buy Your Tickets to "Deadpool" Now! [2/3]
- Disney Moves "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" to May 2017, Sony's "Spider-Man" and "Jumanji" Shuffle [1/20]
- Release Date for "Star Wars: Episode VIII" Pushed to December 2017 [1/20]
- New Video Provider Means Trailers for More Movies [12/16]
- Watch the Trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" [12/15]
- New Photos Added for "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" [11/20]
- Watch the New Trailer for "Finding Dory" [11/10]
- Get $4 off your purchase of 2 or more tickets to "Spectre" or "The Peanuts Movie" - through 11/10/15 [11/6]
- "The Divergent Series" Changes Final Installments [9/21]
- Escanaba, MI: Photos Added for Willow Creek Cinema 8 [9/19]
The buzz surrounding the latest James Bond installment, Skyfall, is great, and if you're looking forward to seeing it, you can catch it when it opens in theaters nationwide on Friday, or you can go a day early and see it on the largest screens in the country.
In an unprecedented move, the studio is releasing the movie tomorrow, Thursday, November 8, 2012 in IMAX and other super-sized screens (such as Cinemark's XD, Marcus' UltraScreen, AMC's ETX, and similar big-screen concepts). The IMAX shows will open up the aspect ratio of the movie to 1.90:1, whereas other theaters (should) be showing the movie at its intended 2.35:1 (Scope) aspect ratio.
This will fill more (but not all) of the IMAX screen vertically, but since most movies of this type are done in 2.35:1, one wonders if the framing will look "too tall" for its own good. Most viewers likely will not notice, but I'll be heading for a non-IMAX UltraScreen myself.
With so many IMAX theaters being of the MPX "retrofit" variety (called "LieMAX" back in 2009 by some due to the small screen sizes being advertised as IMAX screens), the super-sized screens might be larger than the IMAX-branded ones. For example, the 70-foot-wide UltraScreen at Marcus North Shore Cinemas in Mequon, Wisconsin bests the 50-foot-wide IMAX screen at the AMC Mayfair Mall 18 in Wauwatosa, and the UltraScreens at Marcus Majestic Brookfield are 75 feet wide. That means that the IMAX-projected image is only 63% of the size of the smaller of the UltraScreens, even with the taller aspect ratio. Add to that comparison the fact that an evening show at the UltraScreen is $11.00 while the IMAX show at the AMC is $14.50, and it's easy to know which one provides a better value!
Regardless of where you see it, I think it's going to be worth the price of admission. Our Featured Movie Critic calls Skyfall "the best 007 adventure in more than four decades" so head over to the Showtimes page and find a showtime that works for you!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.