Remove ads with our VIP Service
- The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- The Polar Express 
- The Polar Express: An IMAX Experience 
Add Your Comments
- Bonita Springs, FL: Prado Stadium 12 Featured in Spotlight Magazines [3/4]
- Note Added to "Noah" Explaining That It's Not a Documentary [2/28]
- Buy One Oscar Nominee Ticket at AMC, Get One Free (conditions apply) [2/10]
- Barnes & Noble Stores Hosting Events Tied to "The LEGO Movie" [1/21]
- Entertainment Weekly Interviews Ben Affleck About "Gone Girl" [11/24]
- See a 5-Minute Clip for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Before "Thor: The Dark World 3D" [10/23]
- High-Def Digest Reviews "The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience" at the Newly Remodeled TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood [9/24]
- 20th Century Fox to Distribute Jesus Christ Movie 'Son of God' [9/12]
- Newton, IA: Valle Drive-In Wants Your Vote for a Free Digital Projector [8/23]
- Hollywood, CA: See "The Little Mermaid 3D" at El Capitan Starting Sept. 20th [8/22]
IMAX staffer Hugh Murray posted an entry on the IMAX blog about their first mainstream 3D IMAX release, The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience, which was released in November 2004.
Here is an excerpt from that blog posting:
Finding the right opportunity to develop our first 3D feature film was no easy feat. We were winning studios and filmmakers over with our Digital Re-Mastering (IMAX DMR) technology, but this was our opportunity to take it a step further by displaying our 3D conversion (or rendering because it isn’t subject to the limitations in a live-action conversion to 3D) technology in a Hollywood movie. Although our 3D technology had been proven through our multiple space and science documentaries, introducing this technology to Hollywood was a tough sell.
Click the Read link below to view the full blog article.
Many theaters show The Polar Express each holiday season, so it wouldn't be any stretch to imagine that we'll see showtimes for The Polar Express: An IMAX Experience (showtimes are already available) and The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience appear in the next few months. You can keep an eye out for when it's playing near you by marking them as your Favorite Movies!
Lacking that as an option, you can enjoy the movie in 3D at home if you have the right equipment (IMAX-sized screen optional, but not necessary)! Gift Shop merchant has The Polar Express (Single Disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo) for a pretty good discount. If you don't have a 3D-equipped system, you search for The Polar Express on DVD, Blu-ray, or Instant Video.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.