Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Beverly Hills Cop 
- Norbit 
- Shrek 
- Shrek 2 
- Shrek the Third 
- Shrek Forever After 
- Shrek Forever After 3D 
- Shrek Forever After: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- Londonderry, NH: Apple Tree Mall Cinema 12 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Lansing, IL: Lansing Cinema 8 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: AutoNation IMAX 3D Theater Closed for Renovation - Reopening Scheduled for October 10, 2014 [9/29]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Reopens as AMC Sunrise 8 [9/29]
- Springfield, OR: Discount Cinemark Movies 12 Closing [9/26]
- Florence, OR: Florence Cinemas Reopens as City Lights Cinemas [9/26]
- Yuma, AZ: Main Street Cinemas Closed [9/24]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Babylon, NY: Bow Tie Babylon Theater Closed [9/12]
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced this week that Eddie Murphy will be hosting the next Academy Awards ceremony, which will be held on Sunday, February 26, 2012.
"I’m looking forward to working with [producers] Brett and Don on creating a show that is enjoyable for both the fans at home and for the audience at the Kodak Theatre as we all come together to celebrate and recognize the great film contributions and collaborations from the past year," said Murphy.
Murphy got his big-screen debut starring with Nick Nolte in 48 Hours, and has been involved in quite a few hits, including the Beverly Hills Cop series, the Shrek franchise, and he came very close to getting an Academy Award of his own for his work in Dreamgirls. Unfortunately, he's also been responsible for some big-screen disasters, including Norbit, which probably sank his chances for that gold statue.
Coming off the poor reviews that 2011 co-hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco received (especially Franco, who paled in comparison to Hathaway), the Academy is betting a lot on Murphy. That's a gamble that perhaps more than a few people will tune in to the broadcast in February to see how it turns out.
What do you think?
Can Eddie Murphy make everyone forget about James Franco, or will he leave everyone wishing that the Academy would drop off a truckload of cash on Billy Crystal's driveway in exchange for a lifetime hosting contract?
Leave your comments below!
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.