Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- "Now Showing" Enhanced with Sticky Options, Faster Speed [5/27]
- "The Marquee" Enhancements Bring More Speed, New Movie Sort Option in Showtimes, Sticky Selections [5/23]
- Trailers & Videos Feature Updated [3/27]
- Photo Gallery Feature Upgraded [3/17]
- "Reader Favorites" Listing Updated in Now Showing [8/5]
- Dolby Atmos Indications Added to Showtimes [7/25]
- Submit Your Ticket Price Reports for Movie Theaters! [7/4]
- Gift Shop Enhanced with More Selections for Downloading Movies and Music via iTunes [9/17]
- Finding Drive-Ins Made Easy [8/2]
- New Feature: Search for Theaters from the Past - See the history, tell your stories [6/30]
As I was posting the Journal article about the Silverdome Drive-in closing, I wanted to find out where the nearest drive-ins were to the Silverdome's location. Rather than sift through the 50+ theaters within 30 miles, I decided that it would make a lot more sense to add the ability to limit a Nearby Theaters search to drive-ins only.
I'm happy to report that the Nearby Theaters and By Region pages now allow you to limit the scope of the search to show only drive-in theaters! The selection for switching between the search options appears at the right of the tabbed title bar, and you can choose between searching for only active drive-ins or for all of them, whether they are showing movies or not.
To see this in action, take a look at the standard Nearby Theaters page for Pontiac, Michigan. You'll see a list of 54 theaters currently active in the surrounding area. Now, if you select to show only drive-ins near Pontiac, you'll see that there are two open-air locations within about 30 miles. Take a look at a list of all active drive-ins located in Pennsylvania (which has the most in the United States) for another way to find drive-ins.
Going to a drive-in movie is a unique experience, and if you haven't done so lately (or ever), you owe it to yourself to track down the nearest drive-in and enjoy!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.