Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Trailer for "Terminator: Genisys" Now Available [12/4]
- Lenoir, NC: Carmike Westgate Twin [12/4]
- Trailer for "Jurassic World" Released Ahead of Schedule [11/25]
- Teaser Trailer for "The Divergent Series: Insurgent" Just Released [11/13]
- Watch the Trailer for "Taken 3" [9/30]
- Photos Added for "No Good Deed" [9/5]
- Final Trailer Added for "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" [6/19]
- New Photos Added for "Think Like A Man Too" [6/17]
- New Photos and Videos Added for "22 Jump Street" [6/6]
- "Jupiter Ascending" Moved to February 2015, "Run All Night" Bumped [6/5]
When I heard that a remake of the John Wayne classic True Grit was being made, my first reaction was "Sacrilege!" After all, as a big John Wayne fan, seeing "The Duke" as Rooster Cogburn is the only way I wanted to enjoy this story of a young girl with the tenacity to hire a one-eyed U. S. Marshall with "true grit" to hunt down her father's killer.
After all, Wayne won a Best Actor Oscar for his role, so who would have the guts to bring a remake to the big screen and would they screw it up?
Jeff Bridges plays Rooster Cogburn and Hailee Steinfeld plays
Mattie Ross in Paramount Pictures 'True Grit'. Photo credit: Lorey Sebastian.
Copyright © 2010 PARAMOUNT PICTURES. All Rights Reserved.
I guess if there is anyone in Hollywood that could pull it off, it just might be the Coen brothers, who are taking the helm of True Grit, which is due out on Christmas Day. However, these are the same guys that directed off-beat movies, like A Serious Man and Burn After Reading, and even though No Country for Old Men won for Best Picture back in 2008, it wasn't your traditional action movie. However, I'd be much more worried if the story were in the hands of the many less-talented directors out there.
The trailer for the movie was just released, and you can view it here from our Trailers & Videos page, and I have to admit that it has me intrigued! Casting Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn and Josh Brolin as Tom Chaney were both good choices, and the atmosphere that is evident in this trailer makes the movie look like it's not going to be some blatant no-good rip-off, even though it shows many familiar scenes from the original movie.
As a result of seeing the trailer, I've added the movie to my Favorite Movies list, and I'm looking forward to seeing more about it.
What Do You Think?
I'd be curious to hear from our readers and read your opinions of the trailer and your thoughts on the prospects of bringing True Grit back to the big screen.
Leave your comments below!
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.