Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Avatar 
- Avatar: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- Inglourious Basterds 
- Post Grad 
- The Waterboy 
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
According to an article in The Hollywood Reporter, tickets for the 16-minute trailer for James Cameron's Avatar will be available online starting Monday, August 17, 2009. Last month, it was announced that select theaters will be offering a free showing of the trailer on August 21st, but the announcement was low on details.
Fans will be able to get the tickets on the movie's official web site at www.avatarmovie.com and find out additional information about the movie. There is a limit of two tickets per person.
The extended "Avatar" trailer will play just before and after separately ticketed performances for Warner Bros.' "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." At most of the specialty venues, the trailer will be shown between 6-7 p.m., running twice within the hour span.
The extended trailer will contain much of the "Avatar" footage shown at screenings this summer at exhibitor events in Hollywood and Amsterdam, and also at Comic-Con. But at least one unspecified new scene will be included.
Part of the footage shows Sam Worthington's Avatar character adapting to a strange new environment in the fantastical world of Pandora, and a battle scene figures in a closing montage. There also is an extended clip involving a forest attack by wolf-like creatures.
Click the Read link below to read the full article on The Hollywood Reporter's web site.
If you don't make it for the showing on the 21st, other trailers will be playing ahead of Post Grad, Inglourious Basterds, and other summer and fall releases, according to the article. I wouldn't be surprised if the 16-minute segment will appear online after the 21st to maintain the hype for the movie until its release December 18th, 2009 in conventional theaters and IMAX theaters.
Some might say that the studio is sticking its neck out trying to build publicity this far in advance, and it could backfire if the movie doesn't live up to the expections they are helping to set. I remember the hype surrounding the release of the trailer for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. The audience that bought tickets for Adam Sandler's waste of almost two hours "comedy" The Waterboy cheered with anticipation when the Lucasfilm logo and theme music appeared on the screen, only to have many of that same general group of fans groan in disappointment after the movie's release.
Are you planning to get tickets for the trailer, or do you think that this is just a publicity stunt that isn't worth the time and energy? Add your comments below!
Thanks to reader Ron H. for sending us this article!
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.