Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- "The Wolf of Wall Street" Comes to Blu-ray on March 25, 2014 and Download March 18, 2014 [2/20]
- Save Up to $7.50 on a Ticket to See "Robocop" [2/13]
- Buy 2, Get 1 Free Offer at Amazon.com - Expires Dec. 21, 2013 [12/17]
- Soundtrack for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug to be Released on December 10, 2013 [11/6]
- Gold Box Deal of the Day: Save Up To 72% On The "Alien Anthology Collection" and "Prometheus" on Blu-ray [11/1]
- Get a $3 MP3 Credit with Purchase of Select Gift Cards at Amazon.com [9/27]
- New on Video: October 1, 2013 [9/24]
- Show Mom You Care with an Amazon.com Gift Card [5/7]
- Great Mother's Day Gift! Save $20 on Kindle Fire HD -- ends 5/12/13 [5/7]
- 2-Disc "Man of Steel" Soundtrack Coming June 11, 2013 [5/2]
Sony Classical yesterday released the original motion picture soundtrack for Angels & Demons, featuring an original score by Academy Award® winning Hans Zimmer and solos by Grammy-winning violinist Joshua Bell. The movie opens in theaters on Friday.
Hans Zimmer created the score for The Da Vinci Code, and director Ron Howard chose Zimmer to reprise his role for this prequel. According to the press release, the new score required a different approach, including the use of a chamber group to create a sense of action. Zimmer chose to collaborate with violinist Joshua Bell, saying, "Joshua played like an angel with his violin framed by the contrasting starkness of the electronics. He added such beauty and grace to the music, and such depth to the characters. He is an extraordinary artist."
Ron Howard was pleased with the results:
"There's nothing formulaic about the way Hans thinks about the score," adding that Zimmer's music always "suits the sound that the film calls for." In this case, Zimmer echoed the cinematic theme of hidden meanings by playing a musical game. As a nod to the symbologist character, Zimmer hid a five-note musical ambigram in the score. Whether or not anyone figures it out remains to be seen, but one thing is certain; as Howard says: Zimmer is "a fantastic storyteller."
You can buy the Soundtrack CD now from Gift Shop merchant Amazon.com at more than 30% off list price. Some quick checking shows that Amazon's price is about $2 less than both Best Buy and Wal-Mart! (You can also download an MP3 album from Amazon and save even more) The page on Amazon has samples of the tracks on the album so you can get an idea for yourself what the music is going to be like for the movie (see also the player below).
Hans Zimmer has scored over 100 films and has been honored with an Academy Award, two Golden Globes, and three Grammy awards. In 2003, ASCAP presented him the Henry Mancini award for Lifetime Achievement for his impressive and influential body of work. His most recent films include the critically acclaimed blockbuster The Dark Knight, the Oscar®-nominated Frost / Nixon, Kung Fu Panda, and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa.
Readers here will remember that I am a big fan of his work with James Newton Howard on the score for The Dark Knight. The samples I listened to sound like they are going to match the movie's tone well (based on the trailer, I've not seen the movie yet), and I think the soundtrack is going to play a large part in creating the tension, suspense, and emotion of the movie.
Zimmer's other credits include Gladiator, The Lion King, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, As Good As It Gets, Something's Gotta Give, The Thin Red Line, Black Rain, Crimson Tide, Thelma & Louise, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, The Last Samurai, The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy, Batman Begins, The Da Vinci Code and others.
Source: Sony Classical Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.