|Register Now | Log in|
|Home: BigScreen Journal - "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Will Be Two-Parter|
Following the lead of how they are doing The Hobbit in two parts, Warner Bros. Pictures announced last week that they will be breaking up the final installment in the Harry Potter series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," into two parts.
The next movie in the series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is scheduled to be released this November.
December of 2010 will be quite busy if they release the first parts of both The Hobbit and Deathly Hallows, and then their final parts the next summer. I'd be surprised if they didn't reshuffle things so that they were weren't releasing two major releases right on top of each other. There is lots of time between now and then, so I'm sure that more news will be forthcoming.
The full press release from Warner Bros. appears below.
March 13, 2008 09:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that the screen adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s final book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, will be released in two parts. The announcement was made by Jeff Robinov, President of Warner Bros. Pictures Group.
Robinov also announced that director David Yates, who earlier helmed the 2007 summer blockbuster "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and is currently in production on "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," will direct "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." This marks the first time any one director will helm more than two releases in the Harry Potter film franchise.
In addition, David Heyman, who first brought the project to Warner Bros. in 1997, will be completing the film franchise as the producer of all of the Harry Potter films. David Barron will also continue as producer. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will be adapted by screenwriter Steve Kloves.
In making the announcement, Robinov stated, "It has been an honor for our studio to be entrusted with bringing J.K. Rowling’s extraordinary book series to the screen, and we have always felt a great responsibility to be true to her vision. In concluding the film franchise, we recognized that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is packed with vital plot points that complete the story arcs of all of its beloved characters. That said, we feel that the best way to do the book, and its many fans, justice is to expand the screen adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and release the film in two parts. We could not imagine the final chapter of the film franchise being in better hands than those of David Yates."
"This is a very special moment for us, as it is the final episode in the great journey that J.K. Rowling undertook more than a decade ago," said Alan Horn, President and COO, Warner Bros. Entertainment. "It has been a journey for all of us at Warner Bros. as well, and we are confident that our filmmakers will finish our series of films as a fitting complement to Jo’s completion of Harry’s story on the page."
"Over ten years ago, we made a commitment to Jo Rowling that, above all else, we would be faithful and true to the spirit of her books, and ever since we have endeavored never to compromise on the creative ambitions of the films. The Deathly Hallows is so rich, the story so dense and there is so much that is resolved that after discussing it with Jo, we came to the conclusion that two parts were needed to do it justice" said David Heyman. "I am thrilled that David Yates is returning to direct ‘The Deathly Hallows.’ He is both inspired and inspiring and is a passionate fan of the remarkable world and characters Jo has created. I know he will lead our incomparable cast and crew—most of whom have been with us since the very beginning—in bringing the series to the unforgettable conclusion it deserves."
Director David Yates remarked, "I’ve had great pleasure working with a tremendous cast and crew thus far, on both ‘the Order of the Phoenix’ and ‘the Half-Blood Prince.’ It’s a wonderful world to work in and be part of and to create within, and I consider it a great privilege to continue to bring Jo’s extraordinary world to the screen, and to be the director to complete this epic and exhilarating journey."
Part one of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will open Holiday 2010, with part two to be released in quick succession in Summer 2011. Both parts will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.
Source: Warner Bros. Press Release
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2013, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.